Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs and Cats

Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s an artificial sugar often used in candies, gum, and baked goods. It’s also a dangerous pet toxin! Learn more below from an Indianapolis, IN veterinarian.

Symptoms

Xylitol poisoning symptoms can appear in as little as 30 minutes after your pet ingests the harmful product. Symptoms include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without prompt treatment at a vet’s office—collapse, seizures and even death.

Treating Poisoning

Rush your pet to a veterinary emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested a xylitol product. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be given to stop the poison’s absorption. Fluid therapy and other supportive techniques might be necessary as your pet recovers fully.

Prevention Tips

Of course, preventing xylitol poisoning initially is much easier and safer than dealing with it once it’s happened. Preventing toxicity is as simple as restricting your pet’s access to any and all sweet treats. Store them in closed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator so that your pet can’t reach them at any time.

Would you like to know more about xylitol and other harmful substances for pets? Call your veterinary clinic Indianapolis, IN for help.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>