Xylitol and Your Feline Friend

Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s a sugar substitute found in many candies, gums, toothpastes, and certain baked goods, and it’s highly toxic for cats! Learn more below from a vet in Mt. Pleasant, SC.


The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can manifest in as little as 15 to 30 minutes after initial ingestion. They include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, loss of coordination, and—if treatment isn’t given promptly—seizures, coma, and even death.

Treating Poisoning

Rush a pet to the emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested a product sweetened with xylitol. The stomach may need to be flushed to rid the system of the toxin, and a pet recovering from xylitol poisoning might need fluid replacement and other supportive measures to return to full health.

How to Prevent Poisoning

It goes without saying that you’ll want to prevent xylitol poisoning, rather than treat it after the fact. Do this by putting all sweet treats, as well as toothpaste and other products that might contain xylitol, in closed cabinets where pets can’t reach. Check ingredient lists so that you know what to look out for.

Learn more about xylitol by calling your veterinarian Mt. Pleasant, SC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>