Xylitol Toxicity and Your Pet

Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s a dangerous pet toxin, and it’s found commonly in many toothpastes, gums, candies, and baked goods. Learn more below from a vet in Leesburg, VA.

Symptoms of Xylitol Poisoning

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can appear in as little as 20 minutes after ingestion, and include lethargy, drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, seizures, coma, and even death. If you see or suspect that your pet has eaten something sweetened with xylitol, rush them to the emergency room for treatment.

Treating Xylitol Poisoning

A pet suffering from xylitol poisoning may need to have their stomach flushed to rid the system of the toxin. Activated charcoal may also be administered to slow the poison’s absorption. A pet recovering from xylitol poisoning might need fluid therapy and other supportive measures to get back to full health.

How to Prevent Xylitol Poisoning

Clearly, preventing xylitol poisoning in the first place is far preferable to dealing with it after the fact. Store all candies, gums, and other sweet treats in closed cabinets or containers where pets can’t reach, and examine ingredient lists carefully when shopping.

Want to know more about xylitol toxicity? Contact your veterinary clinic Leesburg, VA today.