Xylitol Poisoning in Pets

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many candies, gums, and certain baked goods. It’s safe for human consumption, but is very toxic to our animal companions. Here, your Indianapolis, IN vet tells you about the symptoms and treatment of xylitol toxicity, as well as how to prevent a dangerous episode of poisoning.

Symptoms

If a pet ingests too much of a product containing xylitol, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even coma and death can result without treatment. Symptoms usually begin within 30 minutes of ingestion. Pets should be rushed to the closest veterinary emergency room at the first sign of symptoms.

Treatment

Your vet will likely induce vomiting to rid your pet’s body of the toxin. Fluid therapy and other treatments may be necessary to return your pet to full health and stabilize their bodily functions, and follow-up appointments will probably be scheduled to gauge your pet’s progress. Ask your vet for more specifics on the treatment for xylitol poisoning.

Prevention

Fortunately, xylitol poisoning is easy to prevent. It’s as simple as restricting your pet’s access to any foods containing xylitol—do some research online and talk to your Indianapolis, IN veterinary professional to keep your pet safe from harm.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>