Xylitol Poisoning in Pets

Xylitol is one of the most common and dangerous substances out there that can poison our pets. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many candies, gums, and baked goods. Here, your Oconomowoc, WI tells you about the symptoms of poisoning, how they’re treated, and how to prevent episodes of poisoning.

Symptoms

A pet that ingests too much xylitol—just a few sticks of gum or pieces of candy can prove harmful—will experience a drop in blood sugar, diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, seizures, and worse. If left untreated, death is possible.

Treatment

If you know or suspect your pet has eaten something containing xylitol, don’t hesitate—rush your pet to your local veterinary emergency room. A veterinarian will likely induce vomiting to rid a pet’s body of the toxin, and fluid therapy and/or a sugar IV may follow. Subsequent appointments to check on a pet’s recovery progress will be necessary.

Prevention

Luckily, preventing a frightening episode of xylitol poisoning is as easy as restricting your pet’s access to substances that contain it. Never leave candy, gum, or baked goods containing xylitol out on the kitchen table or countertops. Be sure to ask your Oconomowoc, WI veterinarian about other poisonous foods.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>