Chocolate is one of the most dangerous pet poisons out there, and it’s one of the most common to affect our canine and feline friends. Brush up on the symptoms, treatment, and prevention steps for chocolate toxicity—your vet Marietta, GA is here to tell you more.
All types of chocolate contain theobromine and caffeine, the chemical components of chocolate that cause toxicity. Dark, milk, white, semi-sweet, and baking chocolate can all cause harm.
The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include lethargy, drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered in a timely fashion—seizures, coma, and even death.
Rush your pet to the nearest veterinary emergency room if you see or suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to stop the poison’s absorption. A pet recovering from chocolate poisoning may need fluid and electrolyte therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive measures.
Obviously, preventing chocolate poisoning in the first place is the best option. Do so by storing chocolates in closed containers or cabinets where pets can’t reach. Never leave sweet treats where pets can access them.
To learn more, call your veterinary clinic Marietta, GA.