Xylitol Toxicity in Cats and Dogs

Xylitol is a common and very dangerous pet poison. It’s an artificial sugar used in many gums, candies, baked goods, and some toothpastes. Below, your Murrieta, CA vet tells you more about xylitol toxicity in pets and how you can keep your companion safe.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can manifest in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion, depending on the amount ingested. They include drooling, lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without quick treatment—seizures, coma, and even death.

Treatment

If you know or suspect your pet has eaten something containing xylitol, rush them to the emergency room. Their stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal might be given to slow the poison’s absorption in the stomach. As a pet recovers from xylitol poisoning, fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive health measures might be necessary.

Prevention

Clearly, it’s easier to prevent xylitol poisoning in the first place. Do so by never leaving sweet treats out on countertops or tables, where pets could snag them. Store toothpastes and any other xylitol-sweetened products safely where pets don’t have access.

Want to know more about xylitol and your pet? Call your vet clinic Murrieta, CA today.