You probably have Ibuprofen in some form or another in your home right now. Did you know that Ibuprofen can poison your pet? Learn more here from a vet in Glendale, AZ.
Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), which works by inhibiting the cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes that cause inflammation and pain. Unfortunately, too much inhibition of COX enzymes can start causing problems—reduced blood flow to the kidneys and damage to the stomach lining are just two examples.
A pet poisoned by Ibuprofen will start to exhibit symptoms like loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea (both possibly bloody), increased thirst and urination, and—if treatment isn’t administered—seizures, coma, and even death.
A pet’s stomach may be flushed or vomiting may be induced upon arriving at a veterinary facility. If your pet’s kidneys have already been damaged, blood transfusions and fluid replacement therapies will probably be needed./p>
Preventing Ibuprofen poisoning, or poisoning by other NSAIDs, is obviously safer and smarter than dealing with poisoning after the fact. Prevent poisoning by storing Ibuprofen and all other medications inside closed cabinets or drawers, where pets can’t reach them.
Call your vet clinic Glendale, AZ to learn more.