All About Chocolate Poisoning

You’ve probably already heard that chocolate is a big no-no for pets. It never hurts to be reminded of just how dangerous chocolate is, though! Learn more here from a veterinary clinic Fort Collins, CO professional.

Why is Chocolate Poisonous?

Chocolate of all types—milk, dark, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, white chocolate, etc.—contains caffeine and theobromine, chemicals that don’t agree with pets. It only takes a small amount of chocolate to start causing serious problems!

What are the Symptoms?

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in pets include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t promptly administered—seizures and even death.

What if My Pet Eats Chocolate?

If you suspect or know that your pet has ingested chocolate, rush them to the nearest veterinary emergency room. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal can be given to slow the toxin’s absorption. A pet might need fluid replacement and other supportive measures as they recover.

Prevent chocolate poisoning by restricting your pet’s access to it at all times. Make a point to store sweet treats in closed containers or cabinets where pets can’t reach.

Do you have further questions on chocolate poisoning in pets? Call your pet clinic Fort Collins, CO.