Xylitol Poisoning in Cats and Dogs

Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s an artificial sugar used in many candies, gum, and other household products, and it’s very toxic for our pets! Your Colorado Springs, CO vet elaborates below:


The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can appear in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion. They include lethargy, drooling, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered promptly—seizures, coma, and even death.

Treating Poisoning

Rush your pet to the nearest veterinary emergency room if you know or suspect they’ve ingested a product containing xylitol. Vomiting may have to be induced to flush the stomach, and activated charcoal might be given to slow the poison’s absorption. Supportive measures like fluid therapy or oxygen supplementation might be needed as your pet gets better.

Prevention Tips

Store candy, gum, toothpaste, and baked goods (as well as any other products that might contain xylitol) in closed containers or cabinets where pets can’t reach them. This way, there’s no risk of your pet getting their paws on something dangerous!

Would you like more information on xylitol poisoning and pets? Contact your animal hospital Colorado Springs, CO to learn about other great ways to make sure your pet stays safe.