Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs and Cats

Chocolate is one of the most dangerous—and most common—pet toxins out there. To learn more about the symptoms, treatment, and prevention of chocolate toxicity in pets, read on as your veterinary clinic Minnetonka, MN elaborates.

Toxicity Symptoms

Chocolate can cause symptoms like lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, collapse, seizures, and—without proper treatment—even death. Any type of chocolate can cause serious symptoms; this goes for milk, dark, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, powdered chocolate and other types.

Treatment

If you know or suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate, rush them to the nearest veterinary emergency room. Your pet’s stomach may need to be flushed to rid the system of the toxin; activated charcoal may also be given to stop the poison’s absorption. Often, pets in recovery require fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other techniques to return to full health.

Preventing Poisoning

Of course, you’ll want to prevent an episode of chocolate poisoning rather than deal with it after the fact. This is as simple as restricting your pet’s access to any and all chocolate treats—store them inside closed containers or cabinets where pets can’t reach.

For more information on chocolate poisoning in pets, contact your veterinarian Minnetonka, MN.