Lily Toxicity in Cats
Many varieties of lilies are toxic to our feline friends—they’re one of the most common and dangerous in-home poisons out there! Below, your Isle of Palms, SC veterinarian elaborates.
Symptoms of lily poisoning include a loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling. Without treatment, seizures and even death can occur.
Some lilies only cause minor irritation in the mouth when eaten, but others lead to the more serious symptoms listed above. The most dangerous varieties include the tiger, Easter, day, Japanese Snow, wood, and stargazer lilies.
If you see or suspect that your cat has ingested a lily, rush them to your nearest veterinary emergency room. Activated charcoal may be administered to stop the poison’s absorption, or the stomach may be flushed. Fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive measures may be needed.
Obviously, it’s easier to prevent an episode of lily poisoning than dealing with it after the fact. Lilies are common in bouquets; check through any bouquets in your home and remove lilies. Take special caution if your cat is the type to nibble on plants.
Wondering what other plants aren’t safe for cats? Call your veterinarians Isle of Palms, SC.