Pet Poison Alert: Xylitol

Xylitol—an artificial sugar substitute—is one of the most dangerous pet poisons out there, and it’s found in many common products like chocolate, candy, gum, and even toothpaste. Awareness and prevention are key to keeping your pet safe! Your Lakeville, MN vet tells you more below:

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning include drooling, restlessness, depression, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—seizures, coma, and even death. Symptoms may appear in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion, and it only takes a few grams of xylitol to cause problems.

Treatment

If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested a product containing xylitol, rush them to the nearest veterinary emergency room. Your veterinarian may flush your pet’s stomach or provide activated charcoal to slow the poison’s absorption. Supportive treatments like fluid therapy or oxygen supplementation might be needed as your pet recovers.

Preventing Poisoning

Obviously, it’s smarter to prevent poisoning in the first place rather than have it treated. This is as simple as restricting your pet’s access to any xylitol products; never leave sweets on countertops or the kitchen table, and restrict your pet’s access to toothpaste.

For more information on xylitol, call your veterinarian Lakeville, MN.