Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Pets

Carbon monoxide is as dangerous for our pets as it is for humans. It’s a colorless, odorless gas produced when carbon fuels aren’t completely combusted—toxicity involves reduced oxygen delivery to the body, leading to a decreased usage of oxygen in the brain and heart. Learn more here from a Plano, TX vet.

Causes

Pets may be exposed to toxic levels of carbon monoxide when they are accidentally left in a closed garage with a car engine turned on, or in any other enclosed area with a source of carbon monoxide gas (grills, ovens, fireplaces, gas water heaters, etc.). Pets can also be exposed if they’re trapped in a building that is on fire.

Symptoms

Poisoning symptoms can be acute or chronic, and they include lethargy, respiratory trouble, depression, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, seizures, coma, and death. A pet exposed to carbon monoxide should be taken to the vet’s office immediately.

Treatment and Prevention

Oxygen supplementation is the best method to treat carbon monoxide poisoning, and fluid replacement may also be necessary. A pet recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning will need limited activity and close monitoring.

Want to know more about preventing carbon monoxide poisoning? Contact your animal hospital Plano, TX.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>