As you may know, chocolate is not good for our dogs and cats. It’s one of the most common and dangerous pet poisons out there! Below, your London, ON veterinarian tells you more about chocolate poisoning in pets and how to avoid the problem.
The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered promptly—collapse, coma, and even death.
Chocolate poisoning is caused by theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that don’t agree with our pets. All types of chocolate—milk, dark, white, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, etc.—contain these chemicals and are therefore dangerous.
Rush your pet to the nearest veterinary emergency room if they’ve ingested chocolate. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption. Supportive measures like fluid replacement and oxygen supplementation might be necessary as a pet recovers.
Prevent chocolate poisoning by keeping any and all sweet treats in closed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator where pets can’t reach. Don’t leave harmful foods of any kind out on countertops or tables.
Would you like to know more about chocolate and how it affects pets? Call your pet clinic London, ON.