Xylitol Poisoning in Pets

Xylitol is an artificial sugar found in certain candy, gum, and baked goods. It’s fine for human consumption, but it’s very dangerous for our pets. Here, a Greenville, SC veterinarian tells you more.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning usually occur within 15 to 30 minutes of ingestion, depending on how much of the substance was eaten. Symptoms include drooling, depression, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without treatment, seizures, coma, and even death can occur.

Treatment

If you see or suspect that your pet has eaten a product containing xylitol, rush them to your local veterinary emergency room. Your vet may induce vomiting to rid the body of the toxin, or they may administer activated charcoal to help stop absorption in the stomach. Fluid and IV therapy will likely be needed, and follow-up appointments will be scheduled to check on your pet’s progress.

Prevention

Obviously, it’s easier to prevent an episode of xylitol poisoning than deal with it after the fact. Fortunately, preventing poisoning is as simple as restricting your pet’s access to products containing xylitol. Never leave candy, gum, or baked goods out on countertops or tables where pets could reach them.

Call your Greenville, SC vet’s office for more information.