Xylitol Poisoning in Pets

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many candies, gums, and certain baked goods. It’s what makes candy such a big no-no for our pets! Here, your North Phoenix, AZ veterinarian tells you more.

Symptoms

A pet that has ingested xylitol will experience a dramatic drop in blood sugar. This is because your pet’s pancreas confuses xylitol with real sugar, releasing insulin as a result. Related symptoms of poisoning include lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even coma if left untreated.

Treatment

If you suspect or know that your pet has ingested a product containing xylitol, rush them to the closest veterinary emergency room. A veterinarian will induce vomiting to rid your pet’s system of the toxin, and fluid therapy will probably be needed to return your pet’s systems to normal. Several follow-up appointments to check on a pet’s recovery progress may be scheduled.

Prevention

Of course, it’s far easier to prevent an episode of xylitol poisoning than deal with it after the fact. Tightly restrict your pet’s access to all candy, gum, and baked goods. Don’t leave these items lying about; instead, store them in cabinets or closets.

Ask your pet clinic North Phoenix, AZ about other common household pet poisons.